Thursday, November 8, 2007

Friends

I have to say that it is hard to make friends. I am not a very trusting person....you get stabbed in the back and lied to enough times and you dont trust anyone. I dont tattle when I am told something in confidence. I do not stab people in the back. I treat my friends the way I want to be treated. Why is that so hard? Why cant other people do the same?

So, at soccer I met a person I would have never thought to become my best friend. It has been a very very long time since I had a friend like this (in school up till about 10th grade). So in all those years I have had 'friends' but nothing more. Now I have a real, true friend. Somoeone who makes me laugh, step way outside my comfort zone, pushing me to my limits, doesnt judge me, and this list could go on and on. You know the friend that would be sitting in jail next to you saying that was fun...that is her. Anyway, I have the bestest friend in the whole world.

The thing that gets me is that this friend is more than a friend, she is family. Ok, she is better than family. Family seems to be on another planet or something. My family (cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) are all way away. I havent seen most of them since I was little...1970s. Many have died, many have grown up, etc. My immediate family (parents, siblings, spouse, inlaws, children) is even more complicated. One parent living, one dead. Spouse working all of the time, then working more. In laws that have NOTHING to do with us (including their children...all living nearby). One child moved out with family of own...no contact. One child that keeps me going, my main concern and focus. Sibling that dropped off the face of the earth when moma died (so did daughter). Father that needs....well...that is long complicated story.

Back to my friend....she is the bestest friend in the world. Now, she is moving. We have spent so much time together having fun and now she is moving away. Some people would laugh and say we are 'inseparable'. We were always together...at soccer, store, movies, park, dinner, her house, water park, amusement park, etc...we were always together and had the girls with us too. That will be coming to an end very very soon...too soon.

So now I am starting a 'visit my friend' fund. I have dug up all change that I can find. Even the girls added change to it. I am saving all I can to go visit everyone when they get moved. As much as I would like everyone to stay here, I am really happy for them. Dream job in field she wants, kids are very happy to see new things....it is great for them. I couldnt be happier...and sadder.

Well, at least I can always visit. Looks like their house will be my 'home away from home'. At least I do have that option....or I could move too. It is not like I have anything here. Not like family cares where I am.

No comments: